Round One by Old Plymouth Society
- Where is the oldest and longest lasting ropewalk in Plymouth?
Teats Hill. It was 115 feet long, named after Thomas Teat, who was prominent in ropemaking until late 19 century.
- Where would you have found a Lampson Paragon System – what is it?
In the Co-operative Stores, Derry’s or Vergo, for example, as a method of payment. Money was put into a brass canister, screwed tight and despatched quickly along a cable high above the shop floor to the cashier. The shop assistant pulled a handle attached to the cable to make this happen. The cashier then detached the canister, inserted the change and receipt and sent it back to the assistant for the customer.
- Name 3 buildings or structures in Plymouth City centre still on the same site as before WW2.
Derry’s Clock, The Bank Public House – formerly Lloyds Bank, Waterstone’s book shop, George Street – formerly Herald offices.
- When did the amalgamation of the Three Towns take place?
Devonport, Stonehouse and Plymouth became known as Plymouth in 1914.
- In the 1830s approximately how long would it have taken to get to London from Plymouth by Stage coach?
- Which saints are dedicated to the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Plymouth?
St Mary & St Boniface.
- Where did Francis Drake marry his first wife, who was she and what year did it happen?
St Budeaux Parish Church, Mary Newman, 1569.
- Which was the first store in Plymouth to have an escalator?
Dingles – the store opened on 1 September 1951.
- When the old Ford Workhouse was demolished in the 1990s, some of the limestone blocks were re-used in the construction of which new building?
The multi storey car park at Coxside, near the Aquarium.
- There is a piece of wood with initials RFS carved on it in St Bartholomew’s Church, Milehouse. What is the significance of this wood and whose initials are they?
The wood is from a tree originally in the grounds of Outlands House. The initials are Robert Falcon Scott’s – he was born there.
- How did Prince Maurice Road and Mount Gould get their names?
They are named after the Royalist and Parliamentarian commanders of the Civil War forces which fought at Plymouth in 1643 – Prince Maurice and Colonel Gould.
- 21-3-47 – these numbers cut into a piece of granite, signify an important date in Plymouth’s history. What is it and where can they be found?
The spot where the first stake was driven for the layout of the new city centre. The granite kerb sett can be found on the roundabout near Raleigh Street.
- In which year did the Plymouth Pier open?
It opened in 1870. It was one of the first structures to be lit by electricity in Plymouth.
- When was it demolished?
It was demolished in 1953 at a cost of £4,754. It took six months to dismantle.
- What was the first shop to be opened in the New Cornwall Street after the Blitz?
Ivor Dewdney’s pasty shop.
Round Two The Saltash Bridge from Bridging the Tamar
- How much does one main span of the Royal Albert Bridge weigh?
- How many Royal Albert Bridge land spans are there on the Devon side of the river?
- Who officially opened the Royal Albert Bridge?
The bridge was officially opened on 2nd May by His Royal Highness Prince Albert, who walked across the bridge from Saltash Station and declared it open.
- How many wire ropes form each main cable on the Tamar Bridge?
- How did Brunel travel over the Royal Albert Bridge after it was officially opened?
Brunel was suffering ill health by this time and was unable to attend the official opening. Two days later, he crossed the bridge in an open wagon in order to experience it, finally.
- What year did construction of the Royal Albert Bridge start?
- What was the original name of the Royal Albert Bridge?
- What year was the Tamar Bridge officially opened, and by whom?
26 April 1962, HRH Queen Mother.
- What year was the Strengthening and Widening scheme on the Tamar Bridge officially opened, and by whom?
26 April 2002, HRH Princess Anne.
- From which Plymouth Station did trains to Cornwall depart from when the Royal Albert Bridge first opened?
Round Three by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- What year was the Plymouth Naval Memorial unveiled by HRH Prince George (later George VI)?
29 July 1924.
- To the nearest hundred, how many names from WW1 are commemorated on the memorial?
- To the nearest hundred, how many names from WW2 are commemorated on the memorial?
- What type of stone are the majority of CWGC headstones made out of?
- How old was the youngest casualty of World War I?
Bonus Question by Devonport Naval Heritage Centre
When did building work begin on Devonport Dockyard, or Plymouth Dock as it was originally known?
Bonus Question by Tamar Barge
When was the Lynher Barge built?